Hello my healthy peeps! Sorry for the lack of posting lately but I have had a long, LONG couple of weeks and I just simply (and depressingly) didn’t have the time. I took this side job working at a little something called the Calgary Stampede which is a wild time, let me tell ya. Due to lack of sleep and food intake in the past 10 days, my body decided to rebel against my system and I became quite sick. Ya know when you can literally feel the toxins oozing out of you? Yeah, that’s where I was at for the last few days.
Although I’ll never subject my body to such murderous conditions again, this time has really allowed me to feel the effects of what not taking care of yourself feels like. My schedule allowed about 1 giant meal per day and an average of mayyyybe 5 hours of sleep if I was lucky. The rest of the time I was working. So it was a struggle to get in workouts and all the nutrients my body was used to consuming on a daily basis. And boyyy could I tell a difference. I was basically a zombie of my former self with zero brain power or energy and constant lack of focus.
BUT, on the bright side, now that I’m back in Edmonton and have been able to return to my usual healthy eating habits and catch up on sleep I’m back and better than ever! (Once, my sickness completely goes away, that is). It truly is amazing what some sleep, exercise, and good food does for the body. And if you’ve never experienced how good total healthiness feels, I can’t think of a more perfect snack to get you going down the road of complete bodily bliss than this sweet potato hummus and veggies!
SO here’s why you need to be eating sweet potato hummus (other than the obvious fact that it tastes freakin’ deeeeee-licious):
– NUTRIENTS PEOPLE!!!! I’m talking protein, fiber, iron, zinc, folate, phosphorus, beta carotene, B vitamins, vitamin C, AND SO MUCH MORE! The list is seriously endless.
– But what does all that mean? Well, it’s a healthy way of obtaining plant-based protein, it will help regulate your digestive health as well as your blood sugar, has anti-inflammatory properties, anddddd can help balance your cholesterol levels.
Seriously guys, this hummus takes all of a minute to make! All you have to do is throw everything in a blender and voila, instant tub of hummus for you to snack on for an entire week. You don’t even need to dip veggies in it if you’re not feeling that, this tastes so good in salads and on sandwiches too! It could not be easier to get your nutrients in that your body craves. So get to blending already!!!
Roasted Sweet Potato Hummus and Veggies
- 1 15 oz. can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup roasted sweet potato
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1-2 Tbsp water
- 2 small cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Your favorite fresh chopped veggies (I like raw cauliflower, carrots, and peppers)
- Add all ingredients except for the raw veggies to a high-powered blender and blend until smooth and creamy. You may need to add a bit more water depending on how thick you like your hummus.
- Serve with raw veggies and enjoy!