FINALLY, summer is just around the corner and I can begin enjoying my smoothie bowls as a nice cool down treat as opposed to my usual method of freezing my butt off while devouring them next to the fireplace to keep warm. Andddd, double finally, I am extra grateful towards my boyfriend’s sister for finding somewhere that sells frozen pink pitaya in this city (after searching for it a measly 4 years)!!
As you may or may not know already, I’m absolutely obsessed with pink pitaya. I started making smoothie bowls with it when I lived in Seattle and then was devastated when I just couldn’t find it anywhere after moving to Edmonton. And let me tell you, I SEARCHED for it. High and low. I literally almost ordered a giant crate of it from the states, buuuut common sense came to the rescue and helped me not spend triple digits on frozen fruit hehe.
Pink pitaya is an absolute superfood in every sense of the word because it has a bajillion and one health benefits AND have you seen it? It’s hot pink. Need I say more? I mean come onnnn people, we eat with our eyes and that hot pink bowl is an absolute stunna!!! Oh, and back to those health benefits. Let me tell you about those. Pink pitaya is loaded with antioxidants, all kinds of vitamins, proteins, fiber, AND polyunsaturated fatty acids like omega-3 and omega-6 (yes, these are the good kind). What does all this mean exactly? Just from this one little cutie fruity you’re going to get a powerful immunity boost, a cleansing detoxification of your insides, heightened metabolism and digestion, and nutrients to help you stay strong and functioning in tip top shape. Oh, and it tastes like really really freakin’ good.
K rant over now. So what are you waiting for? GO GET SOME RIGHT NOW!!!
Tropical Pink Pitaya Smoothie Bowl
- ½ frozen banana
- ½ cup blend of frozen pink pitaya, mango, and pineapple
- ¼ cup frozen strawberries
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- Top with anything! I used homemade granola, unsweetened shredded coconut, and fresh strawberries and banana. Peanut butter is also always a good choice.
- Add all ingredients (except for toppings) to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. You may have to stop several times to scrape down the sides of the blender.
- Place the smoothie in a bowl and add all the toppings your heart desires.