For those of you who don’t already know, the three main food groups of my childhood were Kraft mac ‘n’ cheese, Lucky Charms, and Ice Cream. SO. When this whole “no more eating dairy or your stomach will kill you from the inside out” thing came to be in my life, I was a little upset to say the least. Granted once I moved out and began university my eating habits began to healthify and I moved a bit away from those three foods, mac ‘n’ cheese was and always will be my favorite food of all time.
I have since been searching the world high and low for a solution to my mac ‘n’ cheese cravings that are seemingly endless that won’t make me sicker than you’d like to know AND after almost 3 years of searching, I’ve finally found my solution!!! I recently discovered a local Edmonton vegan cheese company (who woulda thunk) called For the Love of Cheese and I’m not even kidding you guys, it legit tastes like real cheese. Seriously I’m not even affiliated with them I’m just obsessed with their stuff. ANDDDDDDDD they make the most bomb delicious vegan cheese sauce I have EVER tasted in my entire life of living. I may even like this cheese sauce more than real cheese. Maybe. And it’s entirely plant based and healthy like it’s made from potatoes, carrots, and nutritional yeast.
K anyways so I discovered the cheeze sauce and have since had this healthified mac ‘n’ cheese recipe every day for the past three days and I don’t plan on stopping anytime soon. Sooooo I suggest if you’re in the Edmonton or Calgary area you go get some of this cheese sauce or grab your favorite vegan cheese sauce and make some mac ‘n’ cheese because you guys it’s good for the soul and it will make you happy. Enjoy!
Creamy You’d Never Know it’s Vegan Mac ‘N’ Cheese
- 1 12 oz. container of your favorite vegan cheese sauce (I use For the Love of Cheese’s Vegan Cheeze Sauce)
- 1 16 oz. package organic brown rice pasta
- 2 heads broccoli, cut into florets
- salt, pepper, and/or nutritional yeast to flavor (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, add your pasta and cook according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, add about ½ cup water to a pot and bring to a boil. Add the broccoli, turn the heat down to a simmer, and cover with a lid. Steam for about 3 minutes, or until broccoli is tender.
- Once the pasta has been cooked and drained, return it to the pot and add the broccoli and cheese sauce. Heat on low while stirring until everything has reached optimal serving temperature (usually about 2 minutes).
- Serve and sprinkle on some salt, pepper, and/or nutritional yeast if you feel so inclined! Enjoy!