Whenever I want to make a tasty big breakfast but don’t want to put in much effort, I always fall back on to a scramble. Seriously, all you have to do is chop up some veg and throw everything in a pan and boom bam you’ve got an explosion of flavor with basically no effort whatsoever!
I’ve been feeling pretty spicy lately (probably due to the lack of heat I’m feeling outside) so I decided to kick this scramble up with some jalapenos! Jalapenos, besides being spicy and delicious, contain an alkaloid called capsaicin which is responsible for its numerous health benefits.
Saayy whaaaaat?! Jalapenos are good for me????
Those bad boys have many of the same nutrient properties of many other vegetables in that they’re high in vitamins, minerals, and fiber while also being super low cal. They also have been shown to boost your metabolism which is crucial for burning fat and reducing appetite. Jalapenos have also (surprisingly) shown to help alleviate stomach ulcers by reducing the amount of inflammation in your stomach.
AND fun fact: jalapenos can be used as temporary pain relief! if you physically rub a jalapeno where you’re experiencing pain, the capsaicin will actually work to temporarily block pain receptors from that spot. Crazy, right?
But anyways, this scramble is v good and I know y’all will love it, so get your spicy pants on and break out the frying pan because it’s scramble time.
Spicy Breakfast Scramble with Garlic Potatoes
- 1 cup russet potatoes, cut into small chunks
- ½ + ½ Tbsp organic virgin coconut oil
- 4 large organic free-range eggs
- 2 Tbsp diced jalapeno pepper, seeds removed
- 1 + 1 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup shallots, diced
- ¼ cup diced cremini mushrooms
- ½ cup kale, chopped
- ½ avocado, sliced
- 1 tsp Trader Joe’s Everything but The Bagel Seasoning
- 1 green onion, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fill a large pot about 1/3 full of water and bring to a boil.
- Add your potato chunks and boil until just about fork tender, about 8-10 minutes, then drain them.
- Heat a skillet (or pan) over medium heat and place ½ Tbsp coconut oil in it.
- Once the coconut oil is hot, add 1 clove minced garlic and sauté while stirring for about 30 seconds.
- Add in your potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Sauté while stirring occasionally until your potatoes develop a crispier outside layer and are starting to brown.
- Meanwhile, heat another skillet (or pan) over medium heat and add the other ½ Tbsp coconut oil.
- Once hot, add the jalapeno, shallot, and other clove of minced garlic. Sauté until tender (about 3 minutes).
- Add in the mushrooms and kale and sauté while stirring for about 2 minutes, or until the kale is wilted and the mushrooms have softened.
- Crack your eggs in and scramble them up. Cook while stirring until the eggs are fully cooked.
- Add half of the eggs and half of the potatoes to each plate and top with the avocado, green onions, and seasonings. Enjoy!