Would ya just look at it? Absolutely beautiful. I could stare it this toast all day. JK I wouldn’t be able to because I’d 100% eat it as soon as I saw it.
K usually I avoid bread, BUT in this case I made my own sourdough bread from my very own sourdough starter so I knew exactly what I was going to be putting in my body. And let me tell you, it was a lot of work, but ohhhhh baby was it tasty and worth it. I chose sourdough bread because it’s considered to be one of the healthiest breads around (you can find out more about the health bennies of sourdough in my post here) and because who could resist a nice, crusty, fresh piece of sourdough? Nobody. Plus add some creamy avocado, earthy mushrooms, crispy bacon, and a poached egg? Straight irresistible. Just wow.
Now I could ramble on and on about all the amazingness that is this toast, but that would take time that you could be using to make this toast, SO let’s just get right to it. Enjoy!
Fully Loaded Avocado Toast
- 1 slice of fresh sourdough bread (ideally one made with a sourdough starter, I make my own)
- ½ ripe avocado
- 3 cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large free-range organic eggs
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 slices of bacon, chopped into small pieces
- 1 tsp hemp hearts
- 1 green onion, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add your bacon. Cook while stirring occasionally until the bacon is fully cooked. Remove to a paper towel to drain grease.
- Keep the bacon grease in the skillet and add the mushrooms, stirring occasionally until they are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large microwave-safe mug or bowl, add about 1 cup water, your white vinegar, and then crack your eggs in. Make sure the water level isn’t too close to the top and cover with a plate. Microwave your eggs until they are poached (my microwave takes about 90 seconds for two eggs, but the times will vary so check frequently to make sure you don’t over/undercook the eggs. And be careful!! The water will be hot!
- Toast your bread.
- Smear the avocado on your toast, then top with mushrooms, eggs, bacon, hemp hearts, green onions, salt, and pepper. Enjoy!