Every year the fam-jam vacations in California and every year I look forward to it more and more because of the plethora of options I have for smoothie bowls here hehe. As you guys probably already know, I’m absolutely out of my mind obsessed with smoothie bowls (for good reason, might I add) so obviously I’ve gotta give you a Cali inspired smoothie bowl while I’m here!
Now you can make smoothie bowls with just about anything you can freeze, but my absolute FAVORITE types of smoothie bowls are either made with acai or pitaya (or both, which the Mad Beet in Pacific Beach so graciously has on their menu) because for starters, I la-la-la-loooove the taste, but also because they’re both superfoods containing loads upon loads of health benefits in each scrumptious spoonful.
This particular smoothie bowl that you’re feasting your eyes on happens to be a pitaya bowl, which is not only a treat to look at, but also a treat for your insides. Let me drop some nutrition facts for ya here:
- Low cal but high in nutrients like fiber, protein, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Magnesium, and Iron (to name a few)
- Contains prebiotics which are crucial in maintaining a healthy gut (aka a healthy everything because gut health is life)
- High amounts of fiber help maintain a healthy digestive system too
- Loads of antioxidants help combat effects of free radicals and unstable molecules which could potentially cause inflammation and thus chronic disease
- Vitamin C and other antioxidants help boost your immune system
- Did I mention it’s, like, really pretty?
Okay so now you know how good this stuff is for you and you can see how nice is it to look at, go and make your own! You can order frozen pitaya online through Pitaya plus or I usually can find it at Whole foods (and sometimes Safeway). Enjoy 🙂
Tropi-Cali Pitaya Smoothie Bowl
- 1 cup frozen pink pitaya
- ¼ cup coconut water
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 2 Tbsp granola
- 1 Tbsp almond butter
- 1 medjool date, pitted and chopped
- ¼ cup fresh pineapple, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh berries
- 1 tsp unsweetened, shredded coconut
- Add the pitaya, coconut water, and honey to a high-powered blender and blend until smooth and thick.
- Transfer to a bowl and top with the remaining ingredients. Enjoy!