This recipe goes out to all of you cabbage roll lovers out there who are a bit intimidated by (or are just plain too lazy to make) actual cabbage rolls but love the taste.
I still remember the first cabbage roll I ever had. My boyfriend’s Grandma made it (every time I have a cabbage roll, I think of her because they were one of her staples) and I was blown away by it. SO FREAKIN’ GOOD how had I never had one of these before!? All that meaty flavorful goodness wrapped up in a delicious cooked cabbage wrap?! What. A. Concept.
Now I had always been intimidated by cabbage rolls (TBH I’ve never actually made the real version myself) but I’m always craving them.
Enter: this recipe.
I knew what should be in the cabbage roll and I knew what it should taste like but I was just way too lazy to try to make it on my own. SO I created a cabbage roll stir fry, if you will. And oh man is it good.
And besides bein’ tasty, this scrumptious meal is a nice hearty way of getting in your protein, veggies, and carbs, all in one simple dish! Sound good to you? Plus you can make loads of it on Sunday and then eat those leftovers all week long because it’s just as good the second, third, fourth AND fifth times you eat it. So basically what I’m trying to say here is you’re welcome and ENJOY!!!!!
Lazy Healthified Cabbage Roll Bowl
- 1 lb. lean organic ground turkey
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 Tbsp diced jalapeno pepper
- 1 ½ cups bone broth
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup diced tomato
- ¼ cup raisins
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 head cabbage, chopped and core removed
- 1 cup brown rice
- Chopped green onions to garnish
- Heat a dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. Add avocado oil.
- Meanwhile, add 1 ½ cups water and your rice to a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice absorbs all the water. Remove from heat and let sit covered for another 5 minutes.
- Once avocado oil is hot, add the ground turkey and stir while cooking until it’s cooked throughout.
- Add the garlic, onion, green pepper, and jalapeno pepper and saute while stirring for about a minute.
- Add the bone broth, water, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, raisins, salt, and pepper. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 25 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and cook until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Once the cabbage is tender, remove from the heat and serve over rice with green onions for garnish. Enjoy!