OKAY. So in Canada we don’t have Trader Joes (which is absolutely devastating, Trader Joe’s is honestly one of my favorite places on this planet Earth), which means I don’t have access to Trader Joe’s new cauliflower gnocchi which I have been seeing EVERYWHERE on the Instagram. Talk about a bummer. So I decided to take matters into my own hands.
The main thing that attracted me to the cauliflower gnocchi was the fact that it was grain free (made with the ever so elusive cassava flour) which is great because I try my best to eat processed-grain free as it can lead to increased inflammation levels in the body.
Side note- I am currently working on a sourdough starter to make my own sourdough bread because I’ve read of the numerous health benefits of it (and cuz boyfriend needs more carbs during hockey season) so I will be eating more grains in the near future and will document how I’m feeling during that time compared to now.
ANYWAYS. Enter me on the hunt for cassava flour, which is very, very difficult to find in Edmonton turns out. So I ordered some off Amazon (thank GOD for Amazon) and as soon as I got it, I got to work. Cassava flour is super great because it’s grain, gluten, and nut free but you can substitute it in a 1:1 ration for normal wheat flour which makes things a whole heck of a lot easier when baking. Booyahhhhhhh! And these lil cauli gnocchis are SO easy to make and even more DELICIOUS.
Honestly I might just end up making like a million batches of these guys and freezing them like my own Trader Joe’s gnocchi because they’re absolutely 100% my new addiction. Grain free. Dairy free. Gluten free. Nut free. AND they’re made with just cauliflower, cassava flour, egg, and salt. That’s it people!!! That’s all that’s standing in your way of a tasty healthy “pasta” dish! What are you waiting for?!
Grain Free Cauliflower Sage Gnocchi
- 3 cups raw cauliflower florets
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cassava flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp ghee or your favorite oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh chopped sage
- 2 Tbsp pine nuts
- Put a large pot of water on the stove over high heat to boil.
- Steam your cauliflower either in the microwave using a steamer or in a pot on the stove until its very tender.
- Drain your cauliflower and place in a high-powered blender. Blend until it has turned into a puree.
- Dump your cauliflower puree onto a cutting board and form a hole in the center. Crack your egg into the hole, beat it, then knead it into the cauliflower puree.
- Form another hole in the centre and add the cassava flour and salt. Knead it in until a dough forms.
- Roll the dough into a ball and cut it into four equal parts. Roll out those parts into a long snake, about ½ inch in diameter. Cut them into bite-sized gnocchi pieces (about ½ inch long).
- Once your water has boiled, gently place your gnocchi in and wait. Remove them once they float to the top (about 2 minutes) and drain.
- Meanwhile, heat up your ghee or oil over medium heat in a pan and add the sage. Add the gnocchi and fry until they start to brown. Remove to a bowl.
- Add the pine nuts and quickly give them a couple stirs, then pour over top of the gnocchi. Enjoy!