Guess what today is!!!!
Okay yeah so it’s a measely ole’ Wednesday, August 15th to be exact. What’s so special about that?
WELL. Today just so happens to mark my 100th blog post WOOHOOOOOO!!!!! So I’ve decided to post about my favorite thing to eat of all time. Ever since my tongue first tasted pink pitaya, I knew we were destined to be in each other’s lives forever and ever. Since moving to Edmonton, however, the pink pitaya is scarce due to it being a tropical fruit and Edmonton being far from a tropical climate.
However, on the off chance when I am able to get my hands of some of that pretty pink stuff, I devour every last bite because it’s SO FREAKIN GOOD and good for you!!! So 100th post, i dedicate to you pink pitaya (the highest of all honors).
Okay Bailey, that’s cool and all, but what even is the stuff? Pink pitaya (sometimes referred to as dragonfruit) is the fruit of a cactus grown usually in California, Central America, South America, and Southeast Asia. There are two types, white flesh and pink flesh on the inside, both spotted with tiny black seeds. The white fleshed dragonfruit is very common to find in supermarkets, however the pink fleshed dragonfruit is my personal favorite as I find it much sweeter and more flavorful than its white fleshed counterpart.
Now what’s so great about this fruit, you ask? WELL lemme spit some knowledge at ya about pitaya:
- low in calories
- high in antioxidants
- rich in proteins, fiber, a wealth of vitamins and minerals, as well as polyunsaturated fatty acids like omega-3 and omega-6 (healthy fats)
- high levels of vitamin C help boost immunity
- helps detoxify the body by flushing out toxins and waste metals
- boosts your metabolism and aids in digestion
- way too many more benefits to list!
So celebrate my 100th post with me by doing your body (and taste buds) a favor and make this smoothie bowl right now!!!!!!
Pink Pitaya Empower Smoothie Bowl
- Add the frozen items and cashew milk to a high-powered blender and blend until thick, creamy, and smooth.
- Pour the contents into a bowl and top with the remaining ingredients. Enjoy!