It’s NATIONAL EFFING DONUT DAY!!!!!
Oh baby what a time to be alive!
I had originally intended on posting something else today, but I just FINALLY found some maple extract yesterday which I had been on the hunt for for what seems like 100 years now and had big plans for making health-ified maple glazed donuts today (my favorite donuts of all time by far). SO when I found out today just so happens to be National Donut Day I thought, “Screw it, I’ll give the people what they deserve. A healthy and damn delicious maple glazed donut with no guilt attached.”
SO here ya go. You’re welcome. Fun fact: donuts were recently rated the number one worst thing for you to eat. Yikes. Bye-bye favorite sweet treat, it’s been nice knowing you. It’s not me, it’s you.
But lately I’ve just been having an intense craving for a sweet, doughy, warm, maple long-john and since I refuuuuuse to give in and put that refined, processed, sugary deathtrap in my body, I figured I’d make my own version that won’t kill me from the inside out. (Yes, I know I’m being dramatic, but I need to convince myself of these things so I don’t give in to my cravings).
Enter this beauty of a donut.
Just look at it. You drooling yet? And what if I told you it tastes just as good as it looks? Seemingly impossible, but oh is it true. And it’s made with oat flour, contains only natural sources of sweetness, and it won’t make your insides hate your guts (ba-dum-chhh)! How nice does that sound?! So do donut day a justice and do-nut eat any more store-bought processed donuts! Just make these instead. Simple. And Enjoy your weekend my loves!
Healthy Dairy and Gluten Free Maple Glazed Donuts
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup date sugar (or granulated sweetener of your choice)
- 1 large organic free-range egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups gluten-free oat flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup Silk Unsweetened Cashew Milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- ¾ cup raw unsalted cashews
- 3 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp organic virgin coconut oil
- ¼ tsp maple extract
- pinch salt
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F and grease your donut pans (I use coconut oil spray).
- Combine the applesauce and sugar in a bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add in the milk and mix until combined.
- Fill your greased donut tins until they’re about 2/3 full and bake for about 11-13 minutes (until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean).
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, while the donuts are baking add all the ingredients for the maple glaze to a high-powered blender and blend until thick and creamy. Allow to chill in the fridge (this will cause it to thicken a little further) until the donuts are cool enough to handle.
- Dip the donuts in the maple glaze and enjoy!