*can’t type because can’t stop staring at how beautiful and delicious this freakin’ smoothie bowl looks*
K. So I visited my family back in Arizona last week and I was honestly having Vitamix withdrawals because of the lack of blender power I had in AZ. Apparently once you go Vitamix, you never go back because woweeee did I miss that thing. Thankfully there are a million and one places in Scottsdale to get smoothies bowls or I would have had an absolute fit without them for a WHOLE WEEK.
P.S. if you’re ever visiting Scottsdale and are looking for the best smoothie bowl, I HIGHLY recommend The Original Chop Shop Co. They da besttttt.
Anyways, I’ve now been reunited with my precious Vitamix and am happily back to my smoothie bowl ways. So the other day I was at the store and I thought, “Ya know what Bailey? You’re pretty great. You deserve some self love today so you go ahead and TREAT YOSELF.” So what exactly did that mean? Buying some frozen acai packets, DUHHHH. And I just so happened to snag the last pack of unsweetened Sambazon frozen Acai so it must have been fate. Okay so it’s not exactly an unhealthy treat yoself moment, but sometimes acai packets can be a little pricey so I try to limit myself to only the occasional acai bowl which makes it that much more special when I do treat myself to it.
Thus came this spectacular creation. Acai. Strawberry. Banana. Coconut water. Honey. All the toppings. Add that to a warm, sunny day lounging out on the patio and you’ve got yourself one heavenly day right there.
Gonna side track from that dream here for a sec. I’m sure many of you all have probably heard of acai, but how many of you actually know what it is? Don’t know? Don’t worry, I gotchu! So acai is actually a tiny little purple-y berry which comes from certain palm trees in South America. Okay so it’s a berry, so what? Why is it so much more special that we can only buy it in frozen packets in many areas of the world? Well that would be because these lil babies are HEALTHY AF. Like wow, so much health in such a tiny little berry. It’s overwhelming really. Talk about a superfood. Let me just list SOME of the health benefits for ya because I would lose you if I went through them all.
- Acai berries are super high in anthocyanins (like red wine) which are a type of antioxidant that helps to balance cholesterol levels and promote a healthy heart.
- These anthocyanins as well as high levels of polyphenols in acai berries have also been shown to help stop bad cell proliferation which means they prevent bad cells from growing out of control.
- Consuming acai has been shown to reduce total body fat, skin folds, and insulin sensitivity.
- The high amount of antioxidants give your skin health a tremendous boost, promoting radiant, naturally glowing skin.
- The acai berry seeds are high in fiber plus the antioxidants are powerful detoxifiers which help to maintain a properly functioning digestive system.
- The high level of phytochemicals in acai berries have some serious anti-aging effects by helping to slow or even reverse the aging processes caused by oxidative damage.
- Acai berries have many vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants which boost your energy levels and libido.
- High levels of phytochemicals and anthocyanins can improve your mental function, including healthy brain aging as well as short and long term memory. Some studies have even shown acai berries can help to protect against neurological disorders such as dementia!
So if you weren’t already drawn in by how beautiful I presented this tasty treat to you (which is highly unlikely cuz, I mean, just look at it), you HAVE to try it now after all that knowledge I just dropped on you. Make a quick trip to the freezer aisle, bust out that blender, and get your smoothie bowl on. And enjoy, of course!
Strawberry Coconut Acai Bowl with Almond Butter and Cacao Granola
- Place the frozen fruit, honey, and coconut water in a blender and blend until thick and smooth, scraping the sides as needed.
- Spoon your smoothie into a bowl and top with fresh berries, granola, hemp hearts, and almond butter. Enjoy!