It’s Friday wooohoooooo!!!!!
And do you know what that means? Time to invite everyone over for a hummus patio partay. Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyo.
Seriously, what could be better than enjoying the company of your friends out in the lovely spring (or summer, depending on if you’re further South than me) weather with a quick, simple, scrumptious hummus and veg appy that you whipped up in all of about two seconds? And then maybe once the sun sets you could bring the party inside for some board games (if you guys haven’t played What Do You Meme yet, then I highly recommend). That sounds like a fantastic Friday in my book. And after the hummus is gone, you can top off the night with some of these one-bowl dairy, gluten, and refined sugar free dark chocolate-stuffed cookies. K drool.
I made this hummus tahini-free purposely because I find sometimes tahini can upset my stomach (but only sometimes), but if you dig tahini you can totally add some in there to add more of a nutty flavor to this hummus!
Seriously though, whether you’re having company over and are looking for an easy, healthy appetizer to put out, or if you just want a quick snack to have on hand in the fridge for the busy week ahead, this hummus is perfect.
AAAAND, before I get too hungry and distracted, let’s not forget about those health benefits. Chickpeas are wonderful little cuties, especially for vegans, because they are one of the highest plant sources of protein and fiber, as well as iron, manganese, and folate! So basically incorporating more chickpeas into your diet is always a yes. And they’re so cute and tasty how could you resist them!
Have a wonderful hummus (and health)-filled Friday my peeps!
Quick and Easy Tahini-Free Hummus and Veggies
- 1 15 oz. can of chickpeas, drained
- 1 Tbsp Chickpea liquid
- 1-3 Tbsp water (depending how thick you like your hummus)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley, a sprinkle of paprika, and an extra drizzle of EVOO to garnish
- OPTIONAL: Add ½ cup of your favorite baked veggies (I love adding sweet potatoes, roasted beets, or red peppers to this recipe to give it a fun new flavor)
- Chopped fresh veggies to dip (I used raw carrots, raw cauliflower, and cucumbers.
- Add all ingredients except for the garnishes and veggies to a high-powered blender or food processor. Blend until your hummus is smooth and creamy, adding water as necessary until the desired thickness has been achieved.
- Serve with your chopped veggies and enjoy!