In honor of being in Mexico, I figured I had to post something with guacamole. But let’s be honest here, I could post guacamole in honor of anything because guacamole is basically a gift sent down from the heavens to bless our taste buds.
I try my best to stay away from bagged chips in the store because who knows what preservatives could be lurking in there just waiting to pounce on your healthiness SO I decided to take matters into my own hands by creating my own baked potato chips. The key, I have learned, to making any crispy golden chip is…
LOW AND SLOW BABY. Get that oven going at a low temp and just let those lil guys live in there. But beware, you have to keep an eye on them because as soon as they start getting golden, things can turn real darn quick from perfectly golden and crisp to black and charred. So just be wary of that when you’re testing this out for the first time because I have learned my lesson the hard way.
And as for the guac, just mash everything in a bowl with some forks and you’ll have a delicious, chunky, healthy Mexican-inspired snack in no time that’ll make you feel like you’re out in the warm humid air just like me (even if you’re back in Canada where the air is definitely not warm or humid). Hasta Luego for now mis amigos!
Crispy Oven Baked Potato Chips and Fresh Chunky Guacamole
- 1 red potato, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp freshly ground sea salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1 diced tomato
- ½ Jalapeno, de-seeded and finely diced
- 1 glove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- ¼ red onion, finely diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- Freshly ground sea salt to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- Add all ingredients for the potato chips to a large bowl and toss until the slices are evenly coated.
- Place the slices on a parchment paper-lined baked sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for about 2 hours (or until crispy, it depends on your oven and environment), flipping about every 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, you can make the guacamole by adding all the ingredients to a bowl and mashing with a fork until combined.
- Once the chips are golden and crispy, remove them from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes (this allows them to crisp up a little more).
- Serve the chips with guacamole and enjoy!