Okay. So I’m a prettyyyyy big fan of deviled eggs. Like, big fan as in I can and will eat an entire platter of them. Unfortunately, the tummy isn’t a big fan of mayonnaise sooo I’m generally seriously ill after I devour the platter. BUT great news, my friends. You can make deviled eggs with…
Drum roll please…
Wow, is there anything these magnificent little green babies can’t do?!
Fun fact of the day: did you know an avocado is actually considered to be a berry? Yep. Weird, huh?
MMMMMM. I think I like these even better than traditional deviled eggs! And wanna know another reason why I’m such a huge fan of these guys? Replacing mayo with avo = huge health boost. Can I get a boo-yah? BOOO-YAHHHHHH.
People are scared of avocados sometimes. They hear that they’re basically entirely fat and think, “Fat? Oh no I’ve got enough of that already, I’ll pass.” WRONG-O. Avocados contain healthyyyy fats which are super important for maintaining a healthy body! Consuming these types of fats actually signals your brain to turn off your “hunger,” essentially. This means it helps you feel full and stay feeling full longer than, say if you consumed sugar, which signals your brain to keep eating even if you’re actually full. This also helps to slow down the digestion of carbohydrates, which keeps your blood sugar levels stable instead of spiking like crazy.
Another amazing avocado-to-the-rescue benefit is that it does a great job at boosting cell health in your body! This supports healthy skin, boosts your immune system, and helps your body to absorb fat-soluble nutrients.
Oh, and did I mention all the vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients that are packed inside?! I’m talking vitamins C, E, K, and B-6 plus tons of minerals, beta-carotene, omega-3 fatty acids, beta-sitosterol, folate and fiber. Holy moly, all that from an avocado?! No wonder all us millennials are devouring these things like crazy! Or is that because we just like taking pictures of avocado toast? It’s a bit of both.
I know the Superbowl is coming up here this weekend and I think everybody could use a break from all the junk food that’s going to be out at the party. So do everyone a favor and whip out some of these beautiful bites of heaven and you’ll be a bigger hit than the hits in the game!
Healthy Avocado Deviled Eggs
- 12 large eggs
- 1 large avocado
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ to 1 tsp paprika for garnishing
- Chopped chives for garnishing
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Lower the heat to medium-low so the water is gently boiling. Delicately place your eggs in the water and boil for 10 minutes. Then, remove the eggs to an ice bath to cool.
- Once the eggs are cool enough to handle, peel them and slice them in half lengthwise. Remove the yolk and place it in a food processor. Dice up your avocado and put that in the food processor as well as the lemon juice, salt, pepper, and most of your lemon zest (saving some to sprinkle on top at the end. Process until smooth.
- Arrange your egg whites on a plate with the hole on top. Place your avocado-yolk filling in either a piping bag, or if you don’t own a piping bag (which I don’t) you can always just put it in a Ziploc bag and cut one of the tips off.
- Pipe equal amounts of filling in a spiral motion onto each of your egg whites. Garnish with paprika, lemon zest, and chopped chives. Enjoy! * Also, keep in mind that due to the oxidation of the avocado, it will begin to turn brown after an extended period of time so it’s best to eat these within a day or so of making them.