I’m going to go ahead and start this post off by letting you know that this recipe came together thanks to the wonderful and sometimes cruel game of Catan.
So how does a board game inspire coconut nice cream, you ask? Well you see it was all part of my game plan. I am quite the board gamer and have played many a games with the people I was planning on playing with. I knew they lived their lives equally as food oriented as I did. Thus sprouted my idea: what if I brought a dessert over that would distract them so much from the game that I could swoop in and BOOM victory would be mine. CATAN CHAMPION OF THE WORLD!!!!
Okay back to real life. I thought at first maybe cookies, but I’d made cookies before and I knew I needed something more. Banana nice cream is good, but I wanted something creamier. Better. What could be better… Then it hit me like a ton of bricks (hehe, a little Catan humor there if ya got that). I could make creamy, coco-nutty, comforting (and distracting) coconut nice cream. Yes!!! That was it! And I had a ton of dates and carob chips left over from earlier in the week, so I knew I could whip up a sweet syrup to top everything off with in my Vitamix.
For those of you who are like, “Carob? What the heck is this crazy girl talking about?!” Let me drop some knowledge on you. Carob happens to come from a tree that grows fruit that looks like little chocolate bean pods. These bean bods contain pulp and seeds which can be eaten as-is or dried and made into powders, syrups, chips, and other tasty treats.
So why am I topping nice cream with carob? I’m so glad you asked. Carob is a much healthier, sweeter-tasting alternative to chocolate! Carob contains twice the calcium of chocolate, won’t trigger migraines, is caffeine, gluten, and fat-free, and is loaded with fiber, antioxidants, vitamins, and even has some protein! So you’re saying it has all those healthy benefits AND it tastes amazing?! Sign me up!
Okay, enough of my ranting. There I was, on my way to game night armed with my secret weapon of deliciousness. Game on. We began the night with some chicken wings, veggies and hummus. I was not off to a hot start.
Once the munching began to dwindle, I broke out the dessert. While it was a crowd pleaser, I’m sad to report that I fell victim to my own scheme… So distracted by how much I was enjoying my own tasty treat, I let the game slip away from me. I lost. Oh well, at least my taste buds were victorious. And I had more nice cream left over at home, so let’s be honest, I was the real winner there. Until next time, Catan.
Regardless of whether or not you’re plotting the demise of some friends in a board game or just really enjoy a good dairy-free, refined sugar-free nice cream, this recipe is for you. So give her a try, maybe even double the recipe if you want nice cream for days like me hehe.
Dairy and Sugar Free Coconut Nice Cream with Carob Date Chocolate Syrup
- Dairy and Sugar Free Coconut Nice Cream
- 1 can regular coconut milk
- 1 can coconut cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 2-3 tsp liquid stevia
- Chocolate chips / unsweetened shredded coconut for toppings (optional) Carob Date Chocolate Syrup
- 1 ½ cups Silk Unsweetened Original Cashew Milk
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 cup carob chips
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Shake your cans of coconut cream and coconut milk to make sure everything’s combined. Pour all the coconut cream and half of the coconut milk into ice cube trays and freeze. Reserve the other half of coconut milk for later.
- Once your cubes are almost or completely frozen, remove them and place in a high-powered blender (my Vitamix works AMAZING for making ice cream) along with the other half can of coconut milk and the rest of the ingredients for the nice cream besides your toppings.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Place in the freezer to set while you make your chocolate syrup.
- Put all ingredients for the Carob Date Chocolate Syrup in a high-powered blender and blend for at least 3 minutes until your chocolate syrup is smooth and warm.
- Top your Coconut Nice Cream with Chocolate Syrup and any other toppings you like. Enjoy!