I don’t know about you, but my sweet tooth is off the charts. Anytime I’m out to eat at a restaurant and whoever I’m with declines the dessert menu, a piece of me dies on the inside. Ugh. Dessert is just so good. And, not to mention, everyone deserves to treat themselves. SO TREAT YO-SELF.
As part of my journey to become healthier, I’ve done my best to cut out refined sugars. This has definitely made me more creative in the dessert category. One thing I will never give up though? Chocolate! And I don’t have to! Dark chocolate is actually good for you. Say whaaaa?! Yeah, you better believe it. Dark chocolate is high in antioxidants which can fight free radicals in your body and improve your heart health, cholesterol, cognitive function, and blood sugar levels. Boo-yah, dark chocolate for the win.
And what’s a better combo than dark chocolate and bananas? Throw in some nut butter and boom. Knockout dessert. And super healthy! Bananas are high in potassium, vitamin B6, and fibre (just to name a few) so they are great for supporting proper heart and digestive health, as well as being a super source of energy. Nut butters get a bad wrap for being “high in fat,” but really they’re high in HEALTHY fats. Healthy fats actually help your heart health! Nut butters are also high in protein and fiber which helps your muscles grow big and strong and helps maintain a healthy digestive system.
The hardest part of making these tasty treats is waiting for them to freeze (I always sneak a few before they’re frozen, what a mess). Also, here’s just a little tip for the dipping. I find the easiest dipping method is to stick a toothpick through the center of each banana and dunk them completely. Then pull it out and let the excess drip off. This helps the nut butter stay in place on the top, otherwise it can be tricky to keep it on the banana. Test it out and see what works best for you!
Okay I can’t ramble any more about these babies without eating one so it’s time for me to go. Enjoy!
Frozen Dark Chocolate Nut Butter Banana Bites
- 2 bananas, sliced into ½ inch pieces
- ½ – 1 cup of your favorite peanut or almond butter
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Sea salt and more nut butter for garnish
- Slice bananas into ½ inch pieces. Top each piece with a dollop of nut butter.
- Over a double boiler, melt the chocolate and coconut oil until smooth.
- Dip each banana slice in the chocolate, being careful not to let the nut butter fall off. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and some more nut butter and place in the freezer.
- Enjoy once fully frozen.